Sunday, March 4, 2012

Saying Goodbye

Coming to Korea can be a beautiful thing. You come to this foreign land knowing that you will experience a different culture, travel to many places, and teach some wonderful kids. What you don't know is that you will share all these experiences with people that become your closest friends.

I had my share of goodbyes my first year in Korea. Being one of the last to arrive among the group of people I spent most of my time with, I had to say many goodbyes. It's never an easy thing. It almost feels like summer camp, where you bond with people from different places and have to say goodbye and promise that you will see each other again, even though you know it might be unlikely. At one point, I was seriously depressed because I felt so lonely. I lost my appetite and wanted to desperately get out of there too.

What I didn't realize is that you are always making friends in Korea whether it's friends of friends or people new to the country. Now that it's my second year, I am having to say goodbye to people that have sent me off the first time.

Five of my friends have recently left Korea. The last few weeks have been full of celebrations, feasts, and promises. Here are some suggestions of how to send off your friends the right way:

1. Wonder Hour (COEX Intercontinental Hotel): From Monday to Saturday, you can enjoy all you can eat and drink (wine and beer) from 6:00pm to 9:00pm. It's a little bit of an upscale place, so you and your friends can have an excuse to dress up one last time. It costs roughly 34000Won, but worth every penny. Link
COEX Intercontinental Hotel Lobby

2. Big Rock (Gangnam): This bar is very spacious and can fit however many people you bring. They have towers of beer and many different drinks and dishes that will leave your friends with a lasting memory of Korea. Plus, the bartenders understand that it's a special moment and will treat you with different services like free drinks for the whole group. Link
Last hug at Big Rock

3. Rainbow (Gangnam): If you have a big group, be sure to make reservations. Rainbow is a chill, underground spot where you can smoke hookah and share buckets with your closest friends, while listening to trance or reggae music, depending on the night. The atmosphere is perfect for you to slouch back and reminisce the good times with your friends. Link
Rainbow
4. UlZzang (Gangnam): Sticker picture stores are everywhere in Korea. But if you're in the area, you might as well take one last picture with your friends before they leave. You can take pictures with different props and even edit the pictures with funny icons or messages. 

I'm sure I'll meet up with all my friends sometime in the future. The question is....where?

No comments:

Post a Comment