Sunday, October 21, 2012

My Lasik experience

I'm sure there are already tons of blog posts like this one, but I figured I'd put in my two-cents on MY Lasik experience.
What everyone should know is that Lasik is not for everyone...neither is Lasek. There are basically three options, but some eyes may not fit into any of these criteria. Pretty much from what the doctors have told me, the difference between people who have to get Lasik as opposed to Lasek depends on the thickness of their cornea. Lucky for me, I was able to get Lasik. Lasek is for people with a thinner cornea. Why I say I'm lucky is because Lasik has a faster recovery process and has less discomfort during the healing time. Lasek sounds worse, since the recovery time is much longer and you have more than one procedure. However, it is the safer option for those with thinner corneas. The third option is for people who are not eligible for neither Lasik nor Lasek. Pretty much, a permanent contact lens is inserted into your eye. So how can you tell which you are eligible for? You would have to go in for a consultation and find out.

It's recommended that you check out a few places before you decide which clinic you will have your procedure in. It's also good to go to other places because you want to know that every doctor will say the same things about your eye. Some doctors say that Lasek is an easier procedure, so that may be the only thing offered to you. The good thing about these pre-surgery consultations is that most clinics do it for free. They will even give you a price for your surgery right then and there.
I went to Dr. Moon's Eye Clinic in Suwon. This place was actually recommended by three of my co-workers in Chungdahm. They all had great outcomes, so I figured I should check this place out. This was the second place I got a consultation for my eyes. The reason why I chose this clinic and not the other (fancier, more popular) clinic was because of the price and the result. Since I knew three people who have gotten their surgery done here, I knew they would do a good job. Also, because I went by recommendations, the doctor actually gave me a very good deal for my eyes. Just note that the average price for Lasik for both eyes in America may cost up to $2000~$3000. The average price for both eyes in Korea may cost up to $1000. Also, Korea is known for their eye clinics. So what better place to get it done than in Korea??

The overall process took only an hour. That's including paperwork, pre-surgery check up, the surgery, and the payment process.
I was actually SUPER nervous going into the surgery. My heart was pounding so hard and I kept having the urge to pee every five minutes! Once I laid down, air was pumped into my pillow to secure my head from moving around. I was given the anesthesia drops, but was awake for the whole thing. The doctor started with my right eye. He clamped my eyes wide open (like they do in horror movies) and I was to stare at a red dot directly in front of me the whole time. I couldn't feel a thing, but I did see a suction cup, I heard the whirring of the laser, and I even smelled my cornea burn. It sounds scary, but like I said, I didn't feel a thing. What's even more amazing is that I saw a difference in my vision almost immediately. The procedure for both eyes took no more than 15 minutes, and that's with about 10 minutes of waiting for my eyes to "calm" down.
I had a bit of discomfort going back home since it was a bright, sunny day outside. I even had to take a series of uncomfortable naps for the next few hours. However, literally three hours later, I had close to perfect vision. What's sad about my eyes is that I have a really bad case of astigmatism. The doctors warned me that it was pretty much impossible for me to end up with 20/20 vision. However, this process will get me close enough that I will not have to wear glasses or contact lenses. This is awesome news for someone who had to wear glasses for over 19 years!

10 comments:

  1. Great post! I was wondering how much it cost you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there!
      Thank you for reading my blog!

      I did mention that Lasik is much cheaper in Korea than the states. With that being said, it averages out to around 1,100,000WON in Korea.. or at least that's the average I got from the different places I went to. Do remember that Korea is all about connections. If you go to a clinic referred by a patient, then they may give you a discount.

      My doctor has performed surgery on four of my friends and gave me a really good deal (800,000WON)

      Hope this helps!
      Aeri

      Delete
  2. Amazing! Really appreciate your blog so much. Experiences like this will surely inspire other people who also aims to do the same thing. My custom lasik phoenix eye doctors was so happy to see this as well. Keep sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also got Lasek surgery in Korea seoul .It was the smartest thing I have ever done!!!!
    I have better vision than 20/20 and how clear it is !!!!
    I got a lot of promotion and got the surgery in the same day :)
    My recommendation is Gangnam st.Mary's eye center in gangnam and this their on-line site - perfectvision.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello. Excellent post. Do you know the adress of the clinic you went to? The link in the post is dead. Thx

    ReplyDelete
  5. An fascinating discussion is value comment. I think that it is best to write extra on this matter, it won’t be a taboo topic however generally people are not enough to talk on such topics. To the next. Cheers Yaldo Eye Center

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice post. It's really fascinating to read your experience. It makes me want to have a lasik surgery too one day. I need to save my money for lasik from now. Thank you for sharing. laatjeogenlaseren.nl

    ReplyDelete
  8. great post. i fully know and understand that there are conditions that make a person not a good candidate for the surgery. we need consultation and i suggest you to go to visusoogkliniek.nl and find the best method to do eye laser surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  9. really good writing and very informative. easy to read and easy to understand. please keep writing and sharing. you are great and amazing. floatlaser.co.uk

    ReplyDelete