Tuesday, November 27, 2012

DIY: Polaroid picture frames!

This post is very different from all of my previous posts. I should be packing, but just like a homework assignment, I like to do everything BUT what I actually need to do.

I came across this DIY project as I was cruising around Pinterest.

Instead of buying those expensive colored Polaroid films, why not make your own customized ones?
Of course, you would have to do this AFTER you have taken the pictures, but here's what you'll need:
-Washi Tape
-Scissors

Washi tapes, also known as decoration tapes, are from Japan and come in different designs and colors. Pinterest is all over it and you can find literally hundreds of things to do with these tapes. I know Target now sells some simple designs and they can also be found on websites like Etsy. These tapes do cost a little more than your average scotch tapes (around $5 a roll in the states), but it comes in lengths of 10~15 meters and they are CUTE. Another plus of Washi tapes is that they can be reused without leaving a sticky residue-- pretty much good looking masking tapes. 

This is so easy, I don't even know why I'm even posting this. Just measure and cut the tapes to the length of each side of the picture, stick, and fold back the remaining tape. I do find it helpful to cut the "side" tape in half lengthwise so you don't waste so much tape. 

If you want to kick it up another notch, add some magnetic tape on the back of the pictures and you can stick them on your fridge! The original magnetic frames cost on average ten bucks, and I am too stingy to be spending my money on those when I can make my own! 

I do enjoy the classic white frames of Polaroid pictures, but decorating them does give a personalized feel to the pictures.

1 comment:

  1. These are so cute! I have always used paint and glitter to cover up the white sides of the picture. Then I would go out and buy picture frames to put them in. But this tape sounds like it would be so much easier!

    ReplyDelete