Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Restaurant: Castle Praha

This is yet another restaurant edition to my blog. I know I'm in Korea and should be trying all the different kinds of "exotic" foods Korea has to offer, but sometimes I just need my time away from all the Kimchi and barbeque. 

Castle Praha has one of the most unique architectural designs when it comes to restaurants in Korea. From the outside of the Hongdae location, you wouldn't even think they served food in there. It looks like a castle from the medieval times where one would expect to see a museum or a haunted house inside. The name Praha is actually how Koreans pronounce the city of Prague. Hence, the style of architecture.

Actually, the interior is kind of like a museum/haunted house. It has 5 stories with dim lighting and the interior is a mixture of cement walls and dark, old wooden floors. Even the ceiling is decorated with what seems like insignias.
The restaurant brews their own Czech style beer and pride themselves on it. They have four different kinds and out of the two that I tried, they tasted great. I wish I could tell you an exact description of their beer, but unfortunately I am no connoisseur. I just got over the fact that not all beer taste the same. Sad, I know, but I do know food! Their ever so large menu consists of salads, sausages, pizzas, and "house specials" (Czech dishes).
My friends and I ended up ordering the chicken salad, calamari, and margherita pizza.  It doesn't sound so Czech, but nevertheless the food was not disappointing.
I did mention earlier that the restaurant also reminded me of a haunted house. Ladies beware. The ladies bathroom was actually on the bottom floor from where we were seated and right at the entrance is a life size clown doll staring creepily at you. I wish I took a picture of it. Unfortunately, a camera is not something I think of to take to the bathroom and I was not going to go back down by myself again later to do it. 

Castle Praha has a couple of other locations including Itaewon and Garosugil in Sinsa. I'm pretty sure the exterior of the restaurant does not look like the one in Hongdae, but the menu is still the same. 




2 comments:

  1. "The name Praha is actually how Koreans pronounce the city of Prague."

    You do understand that Praha is actually Praha in pretty much every language but English?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there!

      You are correct. However, this blog is written by an American and probably intended for a mainly American audience.

      Delete